Phillips County, Arkansas


Where do I go to take the Driver License Test?

The written test is given every Wednesday afternoon by the Arkansas State Police who works out of the Helena-West Helena City Hall in Helena.  The driving test is given every Wednesday morning, weather permitting.

When does the Phillips County Quorum Court meet?

The regular meeting of the Quorum Court meets at 6:00 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month in the large courtroom on the second floor of the courthouse. 

Where do I go to register to vote or change my voting location due to a move? 

To register to vote or change your voter registration location, go to the County Clerk's office on the first floor of the courthouse.  You must register to vote 30 days prior to an election.  Your voting location can be changed at any time.

What is the procedure for licensing a vehicle in Arkansas?

You must first go to the County Assessor's office in the courthouse and assess your vehicle.  Once you have completed that process, you may then proceed to the Arkansas State Revenue office on Cherry Street in Helena to pay for and receive you vehicle tag.

When are taxes due?

Taxes are due upon receipt.

When is the last day I can make a payment before penalties and interest are added?
Mail postmarked October 15 and payments made in person on October 15 will post without penalties and interest.

How are taxes calculated?
Taxes are calculated by multiplying the "taxable value" (20% of the appraised value established by the Assessor) times the millage rate, which is 1/10th of a cent (excluding improvement tax, timber tax or Assessor penalties).

How much are late penalty fees?
Late penalty is 10% of the base amount plus an advertising fee and postage fee of $0.46 for personal property and $0.46 for real estate.

How can I get a copy of my tax receipt?
Please be advised that we have discontinued mailing tax receipts. Your cancelled check will serve as your receipt. However, if you send a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment a receipt will be mailed back to the taxpayer.

When is the last day to apply for the Homestead Credit?
You can apply for the Homestead Credit at the Assessor’s office by October 15.

How do I qualify for a Disabled Veterans (DAV) exemption?
To qualify for a DAV exemption, you must furnish the Assessor with a letter of eligibility from the Veterans Administration dated in the current year not later than July 15 due to an audit requirement. Special improvement levies are not eligible for this exemption. Contact the DAV Specialist. You must pay your taxes even though you have applied for but not yet received your DAV exemption. 

Homestead Tax Credit
In November 2000, Arkansas voters passed Amendment 79. This law allows a credit of up to $350 on the general taxes of an eligible taxpayer's real estate tax bill.

Mortgage Companies
If a mortgage company is responsible for paying your real estate taxes, and you received a bill from us, please forward your tax statement to them for payment. Be sure to include your mortgage loan number.

Flood Plain
State law required everyone who lives in a flood plain to carry flood insurance.

Emergency Management
Phillips County Red Cross Assistance: 870-714-2826

Phillips County Emergency Management Agency: 870-338-5530/5531

White Bag Company Inc., Sandbag Service: 501-835-1444

Emergency Situations: 911